WHO Warns DRC Ebola Outbreak Far From Control as Cases Pass 5,000

The World Health Organization warned Thursday that the Ebola outbreak surging through the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo remains far from under control, as total confirmed cases passed 5,000 and national authorities reported more than 2,300 deaths.
The outbreak, declared in mid-May, has become the deadliest Ebola emergency in the country’s history. Unlike previous surges driven by the Zaire strain, this outbreak involves the rarer Bundibugyo virus, for which no licensed vaccines or targeted antiviral treatments exist.
“Transmission is outpacing our response capacity on the ground,” said Dr. Matshidiso Moeti, WHO Regional Director for Africa, during a briefing in Geneva. “Severe gaps in contact tracing, coupled with active conflict in Ituri and North Kivu, mean we are still chasing this virus rather than cutting off its chains of transmission.”
Lack of Vaccines Complicates Containment
Efforts to stall the pathogen have hit severe operational bottlenecks. Existing stockpiles of the Ervebo vaccine, which proved effective in combating the 2018–2020 Zaire strain outbreak, offer no protection against the Bundibugyo species. While human clinical trials for candidate vaccines were fast-tracked in the United Kingdom and Canada earlier this month, none are cleared for field deployment.
That leaves public health workers reliant entirely on fundamental barrier measures: rapid isolation, contact tracing, supportive clinical care, and safe burial practices.
Data released by the WHO Regional Office for Africa shows 5,021 confirmed cases and 2,378 deaths across 55 health zones in six eastern provinces. Over 80% of all reported cases remain concentrated in Ituri province, where ongoing violence by armed non-state groups has repeatedly forced emergency response teams to halt contact tracing and community outreach.
Health Facilities Overwhelmed
The sheer volume of patients has stretched local medical infrastructure past its limits. In North Kivu, treatment center bed occupancy rates reached 139% earlier this month, forcing field doctors to set up temporary isolation tents in hospital courtyards.
“We are seeing patients arrive at treatment centers late in the course of their illness,” said Dr. Jean-Jacques Muyembe, head of the DRC’s National Institute for Biomedical Research. “When isolation centers run out of beds, home care increases, and that drastically raises the risk of household transmission.”
Contact tracing follow-up across affected health zones currently sits at roughly 82%—well short of the 95% threshold epidemiologists consider essential to suppress a major filovirus outbreak.
Uganda, which reported 20 cases and two deaths tied to cross-border movement early in the surge, declared its domestic outbreak over on July 28 after completing 42 days with no new transmission. But international health officials stress that as long as the epidemic burns unchecked across eastern Congo, the risk of wider regional re-seeding remains dangerously elevated.



Comments0
Sign in to join the conversation
Share your perspectives and engage with other readers.